I am a Finance Degree-qualified Banking & Legal Sector Business Analyst / PM, who grew up and was educated in South Africa (via St Alban’s College, the University of South Africa, and 5 years Accounting Articles at Ernst & Young).
My earliest inspiration – both to adventure, and aviation – was as a Scouts patrol leader (as part of an Air Scouts Troop) during my teen years – during which years I earned the highest Scouting award available at that time.
I have also lived in San Francisco for a year, Qatar for 6 months, and London for 25 years, to gain career experience, and as a central base from which to further my travels, marathons, adventure, and exploration opportunities.
To date I have visited 83 countries on all 7 continents, mainly backpacking, with extensive trips (up to 9 months in duration) through South America, Central America, North America, Southeast Asia, Africa, and Europe. In the US, a 5-month, 27-state van road-trip will always be memorable !
Apart from English, I speak fluent Afrikaans (Dutch), and conversational Spanish. The plan is to add basic Mandarin to this in due course.
I am currently building my portfolio as a Motivational Speaker (UK clients addressed to date include Barclays Bank, JP Morgan, HSBC, Royal Bank of Canada, ICBC-Standard Bank, Simmons & Simmons Solutions Ltd, T-Systems Ltd, and the Croydon Cadets Regiment; in SA, the Two Oceans Marathon Committee in Cape Town, and finally, numerous school and Scout groups in the UK, SA, and Australia).
I am also in the process of writing my first book (for publication in early-2022).
Since leaving school (and probably due to the St Alban’s “Bounds” run each term !) I have always been heavily involved in competitive sport, and have run over 34 700 Km including 171 full and ultra-marathons (best of 2h37, and 31 marathons in sub-3 hours) on 6 continents (including 27 “Comrades” 90 Km Ultra-marathons, best of 6h58), 6 Iron Man Triathlons (best of 9h45, and finishing in the top 15 three times in SA), the 3-day ‘Dusi Canoe Marathon, numerous other ultra-distance white-water canoe marathons, and the UK “3 Peaks Challenge” twice, each within 24 hours. (As an aside, my brother Rowyn – SAC class of ’85, and 15 finishes himself – has been Race director of Comrades for the past 8 years).
In the mid 1980’s I spent a compulsory 3 years as an Infantry Officer (Lieutenant) and Platoon Commander in the South African Army, and Angolan Bush war, during which time I was trained in parachuting, multiple weapons, battlefield operational medicine, urban counter-insurgency, and bush warfare. I was awarded two medals during my tenure.
During my year in California, I became a proficient yachtsman, learning to sail on 72-foot Islander “Odyssey” out of San Francisco.
I am also a fully qualified fixed-wing Private Pilot (PPL) with 103 hours flying time. I am currently working towards my rotor-wing (helicopter) qualification.
My most recent achievements have been :
Polar Exploration :
- Becoming the first-ever African to race-walk to both Poles, by placing fourth (first mixed team) out of six teams in the inaugural six-week unsupported 600 Mile (1 000 Km) cross-country skiing race to the South Pole, Antarctica (January 2009)
- Placing fourth (in a 3-person team) out of sixteen teams in the inaugural three-week unsupported 350 Mile (600 Km) Polar Challenge cross-country skiing race to the North Pole (May 2005)
- Runner-up for “OutThere Magazine” (South Africa) “2009 Adventurer of the Year Award”
Jungle Exploration :
- Placing second (in a 4-person team) in the 2006 Belize Jungle Challenge (February 2006)
- 600 Mile (960 Km) 6 day cycle the full length of France (Paris to Montpellier) (April 2011)
- 500 Mile (800 Km) 5 day cycle (Montpellier, France to Genoa, Italy) (May 2012)
- 500 Mile (800 Km) 5 day cycle (Genoa to Rome, Italy) (May 2013)
- 500 Mile (800 Km) 5 day cycle (Rome to Naples, Italy) (May 2014)
- 500 Mile (800 Km) 5 day cycle (Naples to Sicily, Italy) (May 2015)
- 500 Mile (800 Km) 5 day cycle (Montpellier – Andorra – Barcelona, Spain) (May 2016)
- 500 Mile (800 Km) 5 day cycle (Barcelona to Pamplona, Spain) (May 2017)
- 500 Mile (800 Km) 5 day cycle (Pamplona to Oviedo, Spain) (June 2018)
- 475 Mile (750 Km) 6 day cycle (Milan to Venice, Italy) (June 2019)
- 200 Mile (300 Km) 3 day cycle (UK Lake District) (October 2020 – due to Covid 19 restrictions in Europe)
I am currently working towards my next long-term goal of summiting Mount Everest – via Kilimanjaro (Tanzania); Aconcagua (Argentina); Cho Oyu (Nepal); and Mount Denali (Alaska).
Other interests and activities include local and international travel, SCUBA diving (Advanced Open Water qualified), skydiving, snow and water skiing, hiking, canoeing, white-water rafting, chess, and charity fundraising.
I am also greatly interested in and read a lot on International Geo-politics, NASA & Space exploration history, Structures and iconic Bridges, and Human Physiology (in particular Sports Physiology, and the topics of “nature-nurture” and the twins aspect within the field of Genetics). Meeting numbers 2 and 12 of the twelve astronauts that walked on the moon (Aldrin and Cernan) was a highlight in 2016.
I think I must also be the only Saffa that is learning to play the Didgeridoo !!
And the only Accountant that became a certified welder at one point !!
On a lighter note, I am blessed with a great family and a large circle of friends that I value very highly, I love to socialise, and LOVE a good party !
I am a definite team player who is very positive, extremely determined, hugely passionate, but also compassionate. I also firmly believe that one day I will walk on the moon !